Lonestar Memories: Colombina on Perfumesmellingthings. (...)Lonestar Memories makes me want to escape the mundane confines of my everyday world(...)


Lonestar Memories: Katie on Scentzilla. (...) Lonestar Memories smells of the examined life. Inside there is joy, and there is tiny heartbreak, e xisting only in reverie. The scent unravels into the consideration of past experiences, and pinings for future joys and heartbreaks(...)


Lonestar Memories: Marlen Harrison's review on PerfumeCritic.com (...) If you're a lover of leather or richer wood fragrances, this is gonna be a holy grail scent and in that case, better get two bottles.(...)


Lonestar Memories: Cait Shortell's review on Legerdenez. (...) Do you appreciate scent because you identify with the scent and its image? Does a scent have the ability to create a memory outside one’s own experience?(...)

Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Dissection

Dissection
As mentioned yesterday on this blog: The lavender is hiding in the woods.
Which is no good. But I think I know now what to do next….I will have to recklessly reduce the woods to a thin line.
Maybe a few words on how I work generally. I have this idea in my head: Lavender. 4 axes (flowery, spicy, woody, green). Approaching these axes I start with the backbone, like painting with a thick brush I make a large streak of Okoumal (woody), add another one with Cistus (spicy, woody), add lavender essential oil and then add the green line (Muguet, Lilly of the valley). (A short note here: This Lilly of the valley line, I composed myself, trying to abstract the scent to its greenness. You may ask:”why do it yourself if there are ample lily of the valley reconstructions out there already?”- Well, first it is a good exercise and I wanted this abstraction, the green soul of Lily of the valley to be used together with my lavender). These lines are the main axes. Now follows the next layer: Another wood, clove (spicy), menthylacetat and peppermint (Yakima) adding a green, flowery twist, and so on, going from the rough lines to the finer tones.
Yesterday, I realized again how thin the line is between a lovely spicy touch and an annoying medicinal pungent disaster. So, back to field one again, keeping the axes (less wood), and the first few lines, but changing proportions.
Finally, Okoumal is a wonderful component, very woody, ambergris with tobacco notes, but… I haven’t learnt enough how to use it. It becomes very easily dominant and hides all flowers and spices and green leaves behind a wall of woody ambergris with a slightly metallic shine.
Don’t get me wrong, please: I do not know whether I will ever sell a Lavender note. But I just love to learn how to bring out the beauty of this wonderful scent with all its facets. (See also Katie's comments in the last past....a poetic description of Oregon's lavender scents in Summer

3 Comments:

Blogger Gail Adrian said...

I am so glad to read how you work. Very generous. If you wouldn't mind, I would be even more interested in hearing how you further refine the Lilly of the Valley notes. That piquant verduncy is so appealing and without over-sweetness that so many recreations seem to overstress, sounds so appealing! Gail

7:55 AM  
Blogger Jenny said...

Hi Andy, I love to read how you work on your lavender fragrance because I'm working on it too. Have you ever thought of trying Hedione with it like it's used in Eau Savage? It works real well with the lavender notes.

10:25 AM  
Blogger andy said...

Dear Gail.. I will try my best to continue commenting about it... you are absolutely right...too much sweetness destroys it all.

And Jenny, yes Hedione... no I do not think I will go that direction. I see my lavender more on the wild side hehehe... I do not really consider Eau sauvage to be wild.... but it is an excellent perfume. But I am not sure. Interesting you work on Lavender, too... I for my part can't wait for my lavender to finally bloom. I hope for some inspiration there....

12:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home