Lonestar Memories: Colombina on Perfumesmellingthings. (...)Lonestar Memories makes me want to escape the mundane confines of my everyday world(...)


Lonestar Memories: Katie on Scentzilla. (...) Lonestar Memories smells of the examined life. Inside there is joy, and there is tiny heartbreak, e xisting only in reverie. The scent unravels into the consideration of past experiences, and pinings for future joys and heartbreaks(...)


Lonestar Memories: Marlen Harrison's review on PerfumeCritic.com (...) If you're a lover of leather or richer wood fragrances, this is gonna be a holy grail scent and in that case, better get two bottles.(...)


Lonestar Memories: Cait Shortell's review on Legerdenez. (...) Do you appreciate scent because you identify with the scent and its image? Does a scent have the ability to create a memory outside one’s own experience?(...)

Wednesday, May 31, 2006

made by

I am very excited and honoured to send you a link today that you mustn’t miss: Go and visit Made by Blog (http://whatwedoissecret.org) and discover the start of an experiment that will unfold in the coming weeks and months. We are given the chance to witness the creation of two perfumes, custom made, and get the chance to sniff experimental versions, trials of Katie’s and Marina’s dream perfume, created by Clement Gavarry and Laurent le Guernec, both from IFF. Both perfume wishes are demanding, challenging a perfumer’s creativity, and it will be exciting to see how their perfume wish materializes in a bottle. Both perfumers get the chance to create a fragrance without restrictions in terms of price or marketing deadlines. Thus, I guess we will witness a dream come true for the perfumers, too.

I am excited and thank Kathie and Marina again for inviting me on this venture. This experiment will be interesting for many aspects; like learning, discovering, educating, wondering, witnessing, being part of it, sharing, ….

Just like Luca Turin described in his new book “secret of scent” that I still have not finished yet, but already like a lot and find very interesting, there is a high risk of entering the domain of sex and physical attraction once you start talking about perfumes with people, even if you do not really know them. You end up (like yesterday evening) with more or less strangers telling you about ex-lovers who had this horrifying perfume that was covering all body scent of the gone lover, which was a pity because he smelled beautiful all by himself. Talking about perfumes and the sense of smell kind of brings you right at the bodily heart of things, opens up a route to topics you wouldn’t dear touching otherwise. Funny, isn’t? Or would you ask between main course and dessert the girlfriend of your husband’s buddy what her ex-lover smelled like?

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've always been forward Andy. salacious questions are to be expected. ;-)

1:13 AM  
Blogger Heather said...

Do you know that as a little girl - of maybe about 3 or 4 certainly no more than that - I would run downstairs in a morning to find the white shirt my father wore the day before for work. And I would just wrap it around my face to smell him.

It had the smell of tobacco (he was a smoker and I have ALWAYS detested the habit) fresh sweat, it smelled indefinably of man and something else that I would recognise to my dying day - it smelled of him. I loved it.

I quickly grew out of doing such things - but it was something that a little girl with no inhibitions found delectable.

Heather

8:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The most bizarre revelation comes to mind. After we divorced, my ex told me his new wife wasn't a perfume-wearer, so he gifted her with two of my favorites, Femme and Je Reviens. Hope he never told her their association with me!

10:21 AM  
Blogger andy said...

Leopoldo... don't make me flush... you know, I am a shy Swiss guy ;-)

My dear Heather
Thank you for sharing this story which is very touching and so ...true.
Dear Anya
I now understand why you got divorced (no offense ;-)

That's really a funny thing to do. Well, I guess it depends on the perspective. But I guess, I wouldn't do it. But I do not speak based on experience. No marriage, no divorce so far.

12:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Andy, you are so funny!

Perfume is a very emotional topic, and memories of scent affect people in the most unexpected ways. I have had this happen to me many times, when I least expect it. Also, it's hard to talk about fragrance without mentioning sex and romance- is it not the whole point of perfume? ;-D

I too am very excited about the Made By Blog project. This is going to be fun!

9:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home