Lonestar Memories: Colombina on Perfumesmellingthings. (...)Lonestar Memories makes me want to escape the mundane confines of my everyday world(...)


Lonestar Memories: Katie on Scentzilla. (...) Lonestar Memories smells of the examined life. Inside there is joy, and there is tiny heartbreak, e xisting only in reverie. The scent unravels into the consideration of past experiences, and pinings for future joys and heartbreaks(...)


Lonestar Memories: Marlen Harrison's review on PerfumeCritic.com (...) If you're a lover of leather or richer wood fragrances, this is gonna be a holy grail scent and in that case, better get two bottles.(...)


Lonestar Memories: Cait Shortell's review on Legerdenez. (...) Do you appreciate scent because you identify with the scent and its image? Does a scent have the ability to create a memory outside one’s own experience?(...)

Tuesday, June 06, 2006

hunting and fishing excercises

Being hunters and gatherers we human beings are driven most of our time by the urge to … well: Hunt down and gather things. Sometimes we fish, too; compliments for instance. When reading Luca Turin’s newest column this morning in the NZZ, the very first thing I did, even before my obligatory coffee, this was my first thought. As I have said: I had no coffee, yet….. His column is great, this one rocks. I love it. Thus, caffeine deprived I sat there and thought about the motivation of perfume lovers who buy these summer editions of scents that Luca talks about. And the only thing I could come up with was: Hunt, with an aspect of fear not to miss anything – on the consumer side- and hunt with a greedy aspect –on the scent provider side-. I am relieved somehow now that I had my first cup of coffee that I am not the only one, looking at a seemingly endless stream of “version d’été, version light, version citrus with a touch of peach or whatever” in bafflement; who is going to buy this? Why do they even talk about it? Did I miss something?

But here’s another thought that is somewhat disturbing (I had my second cup now): I am kind of part of the game, too. Adding yet another fragrance to this inundation of civilized world with scents.

(An here is a short commercial break by Tauer Perfumes: Tatatataaaa!…In 9 (nine) days, i.e. June 15, 00.00, the world will see the Lonestar Memories eau de toilette.)

My excuse: I cannot but …. in a sense I am a hunter, too. (With limited success as far as the lavender is concerned. This beast is hiding in the woods. More about my lavender hunting tomorrow)

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I totally agree about all the dross that gets released in the name of limited edition summer fragrances. We existed for years on regular strength scents and now over the past 10 years or so, we have been inundated with them.

The world awaits with baited breath for Lonestar Memories!

6:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like some 'fresh' scents but have never bought one other than M7 Fresh, which my SO loves.

Barry's one lucky lad sniffing your creation in advance of its release!

10:05 AM  
Blogger andy said...

Dear Leopoldo
I just read your POL post... don't be angry, please.
you know: Basically, Barry gave the name and I think it is a very good name! Soon, everyone's invited!

10:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not really angry. I'm just a silly clown. Ignore me! Bad British humour that doesn't deserve your charming answer!

10:36 AM  
Blogger andy said...

Leopoldo: No doubt...and I love British humor

12:03 PM  
Blogger katiedid said...

I love the column, too. I have perfume of all sorts, but I don't own a single "summer" anything. Mostly for the reasons he lists, but also because most of them seem a dilution of ideas rather than strong concepts that can stand on their own.

I wish I could bottle up the smell of the lavender fields just off the Columbia Gorge for you... You smell the herbal almost spicy breeze of lavender growing, the cool water of the Columbia River downhill, and the trees, the big marvelous cedar and fir trees everywhere. It's a very singular sort of smell perhaps, but something to behold. I have this sad hunch that even the Oregon lavender EOs could never capture that big ol' smell ;)

And congrats and good luck on the release of you Lonestar Memories!

3:25 PM  
Blogger andy said...

Dear Moon_Fish: No, of course not. It is as strong and concentrated as it was in my first batch. There is one thing I changed: The provider of my cumin essential oil, but olfactory it is identical.
Dear Katie
Thank you very much for your poetic words.I tried once to combine Lavender with Blue Cypress (which is a fir-like, spicy, fresh scent with hints of olibanumn and cedar wood). Eventually I have to come back to this idea as it would somehow fit nicely to this image you've shown to us.

4:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home