Lonestar Memories: Colombina on Perfumesmellingthings. (...)Lonestar Memories makes me want to escape the mundane confines of my everyday world(...)


Lonestar Memories: Katie on Scentzilla. (...) Lonestar Memories smells of the examined life. Inside there is joy, and there is tiny heartbreak, e xisting only in reverie. The scent unravels into the consideration of past experiences, and pinings for future joys and heartbreaks(...)


Lonestar Memories: Marlen Harrison's review on PerfumeCritic.com (...) If you're a lover of leather or richer wood fragrances, this is gonna be a holy grail scent and in that case, better get two bottles.(...)


Lonestar Memories: Cait Shortell's review on Legerdenez. (...) Do you appreciate scent because you identify with the scent and its image? Does a scent have the ability to create a memory outside one’s own experience?(...)

Monday, March 27, 2006

Packaging issues

One word about bananas: Their packaging is perfect. Reasonable protection, easy unpacking and a truly honest envelope: You know what you’ll get. Contrary to some citrus fruits where you peel your basket ball sized grapefruit for hours and end up with a tennis ball like dry piece of something.

With the decision on the flacon taken, the last three days saw a first round towards packaging and labelling. There is a sensual and emotional element to all of this, linking a customer’s buying process with the end product. As we sell a substantial share of our products to clients directly on the internet, the packaging might be the first physical encounter between the real thing and a patient customer. This encounter, together with the visual aesthetics and the textual messages seen before in a web store environment, will -I am convinced- influence the overall impression of a fragrance. Of course, the most important parameter for me is the scent, the composition, followed by the composition and the scent, the scent and once again the scent. No compromise there: But somewhere down the line comes the story around a scent. And this story is linked to the packaging and visual/textual messages therein.

Then there is another aspect that I need to consider: Practicability. And simplicity: We need things to remain producible and affordable. Affordable in the sense that for every Dollar/Euro/Franc we spend more on packaging, we have to ask at least a Dollar/Euro/Franc more from our customers. Basically we would have to ask for more money for a shell around the perfume that a client will through away immediately anyhow.

You remember: One of the key motivations to do what I do is to set a contrapunto, a counter point; I want to make perfumes that are guided by a love for scents. I want to make perfumes that are honest with an honest price tag to them. I want to invest into the materials that go in them rather the materials that make the packaging.

Thus, a first draft of a packaging:
Cardboard box, solid, white. A flyer, fitting the size of the cardboard box, printed two sided, standard flyer format. The top side shown on the picture goes on top of the cardboard box. A rope made of natural sisal holds things in place. In my eyes: Simple and honest.


The cool thing about this flyer: It gives product info on the other side and it might serve as sample flyer, too. Holding the glued on sample spray bottles on the other side … more shown here tomorrow….

14 Comments:

Blogger Marina said...

Andy,
I really like the idea of a rope around the box; that is such a great touch!

5:38 AM  
Blogger Jenny said...

Hi andy,
Maybe it's too expensive but what about leather, maybe a bootlace around the packiging or a bootlace tie around the neck of the bottle. I know you like simplicity but it's just an idea.

9:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It looks really good Andy! Does the tying of the string onto the package add a lot of extra time to the actual packaging process or are you going to have a package tying party? We could all come and help tie your strings..ha ha.

10:03 AM  
Blogger andy said...

Dear Jenny
I thought about a leather string, too. But then I asked myself whether this would not be too obvious. But for sure...it is not out of the options. I could also use a leather string around the cardboard box....
On the other hand: I like sisal, since I have seen the sisal fields in Kenya, it is rough, very natural, without being an animal product....

Dear Barry
Of course, it adds some time to it...but if I imagine my beloved scent lovers at this tying party... I see how everyone just sniffs their arms. I have serious doubts that my perfume lovers would be efficient enough....hehehe

10:44 AM  
Blogger AnyasGardenPerfumes said...

Andy -- would it be possible to get tiny rope? That's what cowboys use. The sisal, while visually stunning, is more Third World, as you said, Kenya.

Think lariat, "rope 'em up, cowboy."

11:38 AM  
Blogger andy said...

Dear Anya
hehehe... I guess you might be right....but I LOVE sisal! No, seriously, I have also tried flax, thinner, but I haven't found a decent color,yet. It looks all brown and didn't fit with my expectations, yet. But I am still looking for a nice flax rope.
So, back to my Holmes mission. Looking for the right rope....
Enjoy your day Anya!

11:47 AM  
Blogger andy said...

Just did a research, Anya, and found out that originally, the lasso's (from spanish la reata) was originally made from leather, followed by hemp later... thus, hemp might be an option,too!

11:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Andy,

You may want to take a look in MachArt in Glattzentrum or...oh gosh. What's the name of that place. There's a craft shop not too far off of Bahnhofstrasse. It's on Kuttelgasse. I can't remember the name but you may find some thinner rope there.

Tschuss,
Rashunda

12:20 PM  
Blogger andy said...

Hoi Rashunda
You're fast.... I just found my dream rope shop....http://www.z-o.ch/

If I find time on Saturday I will go there...
I think I know the shop near Bahnhofstrasse, too. it's between Bahnhofstrasse and Rennweg, isn't it?

Well, be it...I'll find my rope!
Have a good night sleep

12:28 PM  
Blogger Kelley said...

Andy,

I can't wait for this to go on sale. I would buy it (first because I am sure it's a wonderful scent) simply because the cowboy on the package is HOT!

Keep up the good work.

I can't wait!

Kelley

1:31 PM  
Blogger katiedid said...

Oh I love the idea of a loose flyer attatched to the box like that - and forgive me if I'm over thinking this but - just emotionally, the fact that you see the image but remove it to get into the box seems to indicate in a subtle and indirect way that while you, Andy, have attatched one memory to the scent, upon opening and using the scent, the user will attatch their own memory now when wearing it. I'm over thinking it, aren't I? I live too much in my own head sometimes ;)

2:06 PM  
Blogger AnyasGardenPerfumes said...

"I just found my dream rope"

Now *there's* a phrase you don't hear every day! LOL.

Hugs, Andy, Mazel Tov and all the best at finishing the aesthetic.

6:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Andy,

Yes, it's between Bahnhofstrasse and Rennweg. I can't think of the name to save my life but I go there all the time. Maybe we'll run into each other.:-)

Tschuss,
Rashunda

7:40 AM  
Blogger andy said...

Katie
can there be a nicer place than our head?
I live there, too. And mostly I feel most comfortable there.... ;-)

10:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home