Lonestar Memories: Colombina on Perfumesmellingthings. (...)Lonestar Memories makes me want to escape the mundane confines of my everyday world(...)


Lonestar Memories: Katie on Scentzilla. (...) Lonestar Memories smells of the examined life. Inside there is joy, and there is tiny heartbreak, e xisting only in reverie. The scent unravels into the consideration of past experiences, and pinings for future joys and heartbreaks(...)


Lonestar Memories: Marlen Harrison's review on PerfumeCritic.com (...) If you're a lover of leather or richer wood fragrances, this is gonna be a holy grail scent and in that case, better get two bottles.(...)


Lonestar Memories: Cait Shortell's review on Legerdenez. (...) Do you appreciate scent because you identify with the scent and its image? Does a scent have the ability to create a memory outside one’s own experience?(...)

Tuesday, March 14, 2006

A star from the past

Did you know? We live in the past. Everything we become conscious of happened already. First our nervous system needs some time to process signals coming in for instance a hand touching our skin; second there is a time gap due to the fact that light needs some time to get across space to reach our light sensitive cells, be it from the flower right in front of us, be it from a star far away. The sun could explode without us realizing it for about 10 minutes. Which is kind of cool… the crown of evolution dancing self forgotten on its planet while the star that makes all this dancing possible is extinguished since 5 minutes!

Why this strange introduction to this post? I had the chance to look at a star from the past last Saturday: Vero had acquired many, many years ago a beautiful baccarat flacon together with a small pump spray of Vega, the original. Unopened. We didn’t dare touching the baccarat, but we dared comparing the Vega in the little pump spray with mine, bought in Paris, the re-edition eau de toilette. Wow! What a difference.

Vega (the original) is much rounder, the very first impression is less spicy and more powdery, there might be more bergamot in it, and the second impression is the rose, the rose which is there, hidden but visible and present. So much nicer, so much more natural than in the re-edition. We couldn’t fight the impression that the re-edition is –as far as the rose is concerned- much more artificial. And then there is the powder again, together with strings of animalic notes, maybe oakmoss, beautiful! The whole scent picture was more complete and balanced. The re-edition was a little bit like a very well done lithographical copy, on glossy paper, brilliant and beautiful, but not the original!

What was different on paper was even more different on Vero’s skin; here Vega was a couple of layers more, soothingly playing with the skin. Thus, our conclusion this Saturday afternoon was: Guerlain should name its reedition “étoile mémoires” or “memories of Vega”. We will have to live with the fact that some stars will never twinkle again.

For a little picture of Vega on the sky.... follow this link

6 Comments:

Blogger Victoria said...

I have just purchased the 4.2oz re-released version of this. I loved it from my sample, never having the original to compare. It does have slightly old fashioned feel to it. Such a lovely drydown. I can't wait to hold the beautiful bottle and box in my hands!

10:13 AM  
Blogger andy said...

Dear Victoria
I just sent you a mail...
It does indeed have a slightly old fashioned aspect, but(I forgot to mention this) in comparison to the "original" the re-release is somewhat more modern. I wouldn't say one or the other is better; they just are slightly different. For me a question remains: Why? Because the "original" can not be produced anymore due to restrictions or due to missing ingredients?

1:44 PM  
Blogger Victoria said...

Do you think today's aldehydes are different? It seems to me they are. That, in addition to the prohibited ingredients makes for a big change.

2:21 PM  
Blogger andy said...

I don't know, honestly. The aldehydes should be the same (well, I guess) eventually the production quality of today is better, as aldehydes tend to be unstable. Maybe this adds the observed changes. Then: Small changes in quality and amount of compounds may lead to big differences and finally the changes might be introduced on purpose, to render it a little bit more modern, better fitting with today's customers wishes?

2:32 PM  
Blogger Tania said...

I heard from someone who spoke to people who worked at Guerlain that they don't have the formulas for the originals -- they are reworking them based on memories, analysis, and the art of smelling and reconstituting. You are probably right about certain ingredients no longer being available and the quality of those that are available having changed. But oh, how I'd love to smell the original! The reissue is so lovely in itself. I saw a vintage bottle on eBay but lacked the cash to compete with bottle collectors and passionate perfumistas -- one of these days I'll smell it.

5:44 AM  
Blogger andy said...

Dear Tania
Thank you for your note. You know: this is my own personal nightmare....of loosing my formula. I don't know wheter I would manage for come up with it again. I guess not. Some of my formulas are too complicated! So, I have my formula on my computer's hard disc, on CD, on DVD, on a separate hard disk and a printed out file is with the shop owner of Medieval art & vie. I am kind of paranoid there.....
Glad you loved Vega, I do, too.

12:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home