Lonestar Memories: Colombina on Perfumesmellingthings. (...)Lonestar Memories makes me want to escape the mundane confines of my everyday world(...)


Lonestar Memories: Katie on Scentzilla. (...) Lonestar Memories smells of the examined life. Inside there is joy, and there is tiny heartbreak, e xisting only in reverie. The scent unravels into the consideration of past experiences, and pinings for future joys and heartbreaks(...)


Lonestar Memories: Marlen Harrison's review on PerfumeCritic.com (...) If you're a lover of leather or richer wood fragrances, this is gonna be a holy grail scent and in that case, better get two bottles.(...)


Lonestar Memories: Cait Shortell's review on Legerdenez. (...) Do you appreciate scent because you identify with the scent and its image? Does a scent have the ability to create a memory outside one’s own experience?(...)

Monday, November 14, 2005

Back from far away

I am back from a short visit to a beautiful land along the Nile; it is just 4 hours to fly there, but it is far away nevertheless. As requested by many: Here are some of the travel details.... I was in Luxor and Safaga. That's basically it! In Safaga, which is a calm green place in midst of a dry desert, I enjoyed the pleasures of the Red Sea.

In Luxor I felt obliged to visit the temples and tombs which are just amazing and I had completely forgotten how impressive they are. Sometimes, this year's trip was a déjà-vu kind of thing but mostly I had the impression to see things the first time. As a matter of fact I was in Egypt 20 years ago, all by myself, travelling by train and bus and visiting almost every monument between Cairo (the pyramids) and Assuan (Abu Simbel). As there are many monuments to be seen, I was totally exhausted by the end of this 4 week travelling and, due to a severe lack of money, I experienced quite some strange hotels.

This year, it was somewhat different and I treated myself with one of the nicest hotels in Luxor: The Jolie Ville, which is situated on an island in the Nile, with a view over the river, the green band of palms and fields on the other side and the desert mountains. Every evening, I would sit on the terrace overlooking the Nile and watch the sun go down. And I would think about egyptian men living in a time 4000 years before ours, building temples for their priests (temples, they themselves were mostly not allowed to visit) and hoping for the Nile bringing enough water. I would sniff my arms, sprayed with my old Jicky or a vintage version of Coty's Chypre and I would be amazed how well composed they are and how they fit into this enclave of luxury; thoughts that usually lead to an extra tip for the waiter in the dining room, hoping to shift the unequal balance in this world just a little bit.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK, Andy -- we know what you smelled like, all Jicky-ied and Chypre-ied up, lol, but what the heck did the area smell like? What were the Egyptians wearing? You must give us the scent review of this place many of us have never visited ;-).

6:11 AM  
Blogger andy said...

Dear Anya
Right you are. But... some of the scents are not that pleasant. You find a lot of diesel emitting cars on the streets with their fossil perfumes mixing with dirt on the road (mostly green, fouly scents), some dry dust scents mixed with what donkeys leave on their way.
The men.... they seem to have a preference for heavy-stingy, rather sweet galbanum based, woody scents. Not that I would have smelled any perfume that I would know, but some men smelled really good.
The women.... you do not get really close to the average egyptian woman these days.
The tourists: Rather annoying, especially in the tombs, where they are packed and come real close to you, not used to the warmth and to climbing stairs.....

The flowers:Rose, Jasmin and Mimosa (Acacia) in the hotel.Especially the Jasmin: A dream. (more about it tomorrow)

8:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had a fabulous time Andy. Just the mere mention of Mimosa (Acacia) makes me want to sniff Caron's Acaciosa.

Did you visit any perfume souqs?

Barry

11:03 AM  
Blogger andy said...

Dear Barry
Well, not really. You know, this summer's experience in the medina of Tunis (which is wonderful, world cultural heritage class A)let me skip this point. It is very much like Luca wrote on Le Maroc pour Elle.
Dear Wendy
Great! I hopefully will soon have to tell something about orange flower again. Right now, I am busy about other things which are less pleasant.....
Have a nice day

9:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home