Lonestar Memories: Colombina on Perfumesmellingthings. (...)Lonestar Memories makes me want to escape the mundane confines of my everyday world(...)


Lonestar Memories: Katie on Scentzilla. (...) Lonestar Memories smells of the examined life. Inside there is joy, and there is tiny heartbreak, e xisting only in reverie. The scent unravels into the consideration of past experiences, and pinings for future joys and heartbreaks(...)


Lonestar Memories: Marlen Harrison's review on PerfumeCritic.com (...) If you're a lover of leather or richer wood fragrances, this is gonna be a holy grail scent and in that case, better get two bottles.(...)


Lonestar Memories: Cait Shortell's review on Legerdenez. (...) Do you appreciate scent because you identify with the scent and its image? Does a scent have the ability to create a memory outside one’s own experience?(...)

Friday, May 05, 2006

deformation professionelle

Back from a 3-day meeting at a magic place, on the banks of Lake Geneva, in a former monastery, with wonderful huge trees, producing pollen like crazy and leading to quite a few hatschi's.
The wall of the entire building were covered with blue flowers hanging down like a gigantic flowery water fall producing a cascade of an airy, musky, sweet scent.
It was growing in intensity at dusk and was ...well, kind of a natural flower bomb.

The scent was somewhat light, airy and reminding of Hexylsalicylate and other salicylates. I found it wonderful, but would have wished it a little bit darker, woodier. Et voila, this is what I call deformation professionelle. A place to observe this effect in pure form: Hospitals. Enter a hospital as a patient and you will realize that somehow you have transformed into a huge baby, being the focal point of empatic activities. The nurse will sing gentle words, ask you how you are doing, a melody of tender empatic lovely care which is the result of 1000 times the same question.
The same is true here, a sniff which sets in motion a brain that tries to figure out how the scent message is composed, and how nature could be improved. Or modified, or brought to perfection or abstracted, to make if fit better with one's expectation. Thus, my dear Wisteria, I would like to have you a little bit less present, I would like to crown your sweetness with a brown line of Ambrein and add a touch crispiness to it, just to make you ... perfect? Well, I guess you are perfect in a sense. So, I would like to make you different!

(Pix: Chinese Wisteria, Copyright Floridata.com, Jack Scheper, see also floridata.com )

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad you got back home safely Andy. Your description of your perfect wisteria sounds like a perfect opportunity to create the perfect wisteria perfume.

5:43 AM  
Blogger andy said...

Yes, Barry, I am glad too. It is quite amazing what is happening right now and I finally am able again to answer my many, many mails....
Thus, I know what to do this weekend. Samples, and mails. This is phantastic!

6:31 AM  
Blogger Jenny said...

Do I hear a new creation coming up? Sounds wonderful!

3:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know, Andy I was just wishing there was a Wisteria perfume that captures its true essence but tames its sweetness a bit - maybe a little Bergamot or some violet leaves ....?

Seriously, as far as I know there is no Wisteria-based perfume. It has a lot in common with Sweetpea as they are related - ethereal and so hard to capture. It is blooming here now and it's so wonderful to walk by it and smell the gently wafting fragrance on the air.

11:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Andy,

I was wrong. Apparently there are other perfumes with Wisteria in them - I just read about two, including the soliflore by Chantecaille - I have never tried it though, or even heard of it before today. I do not think it is well-known. It appears to be a very elusive note - a challenge to any perfumer!

That's the problem with learning more about perfumes - I keep adding to the list of things I must have...

5:01 PM  
Blogger katiedid said...

Flora, there is also Givenchy's Extravagance, which on me drips heavily with wisteria. It's actually too overwhelming for me, truth be told!

Andy, it would be great fun to crawl inside your brain sometime and see how everything moves. I don't know why, but it made me chuckle a little when you smelled the big flowery aroma in the air and started dividing into molecules, heh! Yesterday we were stuck in traffic, and along the side of the road were blackberry brambles and wild roses growing, and it smelled just gorgeous from the car window. Even with (or who knows, perhaps also because of) the smell of the collective car exhausts being pumped into the air the entire traffic jam was made more bearable with that exquisite scent.

6:37 PM  
Blogger katiedid said...

D'oh! And a HEARTY congrats on the NZZ Folio article. I just KNEW Luca would be charmed by your lovely L'Air, and I'm so pleased for you :)

6:38 PM  
Blogger andy said...

Katie
I don't know whether you would really enjoy a brain switch like that. Maybe you would be totally disappointed, suddenly sitting in a testosterone biased brain... but I can see how the exhausts and the rose fragrance mixed into something bigger: that's the birch tar trick. It needs just a little bit, hardly detectable and it will lift flowers and add depth.
Well, thank you, Katie!

12:04 AM  
Blogger andy said...

Flora
This is exactly one of my raison d'être... there is no end to it!
Now, I do not intend to create a Wisteria perfume in the near future, but I agree with you very much. The sweetness is overwhelming and it would needed to be tamed!
Enjoy your Sunday

12:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home