Lonestar Memories: Colombina on Perfumesmellingthings. (...)Lonestar Memories makes me want to escape the mundane confines of my everyday world(...)


Lonestar Memories: Katie on Scentzilla. (...) Lonestar Memories smells of the examined life. Inside there is joy, and there is tiny heartbreak, e xisting only in reverie. The scent unravels into the consideration of past experiences, and pinings for future joys and heartbreaks(...)


Lonestar Memories: Marlen Harrison's review on PerfumeCritic.com (...) If you're a lover of leather or richer wood fragrances, this is gonna be a holy grail scent and in that case, better get two bottles.(...)


Lonestar Memories: Cait Shortell's review on Legerdenez. (...) Do you appreciate scent because you identify with the scent and its image? Does a scent have the ability to create a memory outside one’s own experience?(...)

Monday, January 09, 2006

Orchid dreams

Sometimes, when we are desperate, but not like suburbia house wife on TV, rather a little bit anxious, uncomfortable about things to come, our brain produces a counter vision at night. For those among you who have done some Freud reading, things are of course much more complex, with our dreams not only fulfilling wishes and making things come true. But for the sake of simplicity, we may leave it like that: Dreams make things come true.

Thus, in my dreams the leather perfume has come true. I was imaging a scene where I was visiting an orchid exhibition. Well, I was going to and before, I bought a ticket at the green house entry. I entered the green house but once I was in, I remembered having seen a little perfume sample lying on the desk of the ticket shop. I returned to get a hold of this sample, packed in silver paper, a little glass bottle saying Coty’s leather. To my shame I have to admit: I have no idea whether Mr Coty ever made a true leather scent. I have to ask the blog community: Do you know…?
Anyhow:
I sprayed a little bit on my hand and there it was, beautiful, perfect: The orchid leather scent, powdery due to iso-amylsalicylate and with lots of vanilla, joined with Tonka in the back, a soft woody base, remembering the Jicky base accord, the scent played on a green chypre ground, with a smoky line perfectly integrated, hints of rose and some geranium played in the middle, the start was somewhat stringent, with a touch of green spices. A dream perfume in a perfumers dream.

I forgot about this dream but when I did my weekly orchid watering yesterday it popped up again. I smelled my little unknown orchid which is in bloom since a month, with little flowers, not larger than a finger nail, and there it was again: Vanilla and a smoke line. Guess what will the main line of action on the leather theme…..

Picture: Orchid in bloom, sending off waves of brown vanilla, with a woody smoky touch, right now in icy Zurich

5 Comments:

Blogger Tania said...

Andy, your dream is a dream I had. After going to CB I Hate Perfume in Brooklyn, NY, and smelling Chris Brosius's notes and accords, I was in a daydream of the Orchid Cattleya note + the Russian Leather note for a week, but never got around to doing anything about it because I knew I could never do the idea justice. They had such an affinity for each other, though, I could almost smell, in my mind's nose, the ideal result. I eagerly anticipate your next move in this project. :)

7:10 AM  
Blogger andy said...

Dear Tania
Now, that's something! What I find remarkable about my dream were several things: First that I paid, got the ticket,entered and THEN remembered having seen the sample laying there. Does this tell me something? Have I forgoten something so far?
Then: It was a Coty perfume and a Chypre!
And then the link to the Orchids. I think this tells me to increase the Vanillin....
Well, maybe I am stressing my sub consciousness a little bit too far here.....
Have a nice evening

10:26 AM  
Blogger Marina said...

Andy,
this sounds like my dream fragrance. I love orchids and I love leather. What can be more perfect than those two notes together. Best ideas come to us in dreams. Mendeleev allegedly saw his periodic table in a dream :-)

11:45 AM  
Blogger andy said...

Indeed, now let's hope that this dream will sooner or later come true.

And: Thank you very much for your post. It was a dream to read.

11:47 AM  
Blogger Qwendy said...

Andy, I can't wait to try this one, it sounds amazing! All of these perfume dreams in the ether, I wonder what I'll dream tonight? I'd better go see, goodnight!

11:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home