Lonestar Memories: Colombina on Perfumesmellingthings. (...)Lonestar Memories makes me want to escape the mundane confines of my everyday world(...)


Lonestar Memories: Katie on Scentzilla. (...) Lonestar Memories smells of the examined life. Inside there is joy, and there is tiny heartbreak, e xisting only in reverie. The scent unravels into the consideration of past experiences, and pinings for future joys and heartbreaks(...)


Lonestar Memories: Marlen Harrison's review on PerfumeCritic.com (...) If you're a lover of leather or richer wood fragrances, this is gonna be a holy grail scent and in that case, better get two bottles.(...)


Lonestar Memories: Cait Shortell's review on Legerdenez. (...) Do you appreciate scent because you identify with the scent and its image? Does a scent have the ability to create a memory outside one’s own experience?(...)

Thursday, June 22, 2006

rain

On my way home, yesterday evening, by bike, I remembered again a few reasons why bike holidays can be a pain. I was on my way for about two minutes, some more ten minutes to go, when the clouds above me did what clouds are supposed to do. Within a minute I was beamed from mid Europe to Delhi, on a hot July day at noon, monsoon rain pouring down merciless, transforming streets into little rivers and ponds. Within a minute I got soaking wet, looking miserable like mom's poodle if wet, smelling probaly similar.
But then, to compensate for this middle European white man's misery, there it was: The smell of rain on asphalt, that is so unique and so good! Earthy, yummie, edible, depending on where and how smelling thick and brownish, and I found out today, using google that this is called PETRICHOR

A perfume that just smells like that for hours....no, I don't think so. I do not think that people would like me smelling like fresh rain on asphalt, thus making them grab for their umbrellas as soon as they smell me...on the other hand: still better than wet dog, I guess.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's a delightful smell, though I think it would provoke to much cognitive disorientation out of context.

Good post Andy. I hope you didn't catch a cold.

1:36 AM  
Blogger Solander said...

Oh I'd definitely buy it. I love that scent too. Actually, I think CB I Hate Perfume has an accord called Wet Pavement London or something like that.

4:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my word! I'd give anything for a perfume that smells like fresh rain on asphalt. One of my favorite childhood smells!

9:52 AM  
Blogger andy said...

Dear Konstantin... I just hope such a bike accident won't happen to me... I guess I wouldn't be fine afterwards.
Hmmm ...Octanal.... this I have to try myself. Sounds interesting... thank you for this info.
By the way: Do you know the perfumemaking yahoo group...interesting discussions going on there.

10:28 AM  
Blogger andy said...

My dear Leopoldo
right now my health seems to be unbeatable. This might be related to the adrenalin that still floods my veins in light of all the excitment around me ;-)
Let's hope it stays like that.

10:29 AM  
Blogger andy said...

Hi solander
I checked on the I Hate Perfume site, but it says , the WET PAVEMENT LONDON is only available in the Gallery....
Thanks for the hint!

10:35 AM  
Blogger katiedid said...

Actually, I would love a perfume that smells like that for hours. Of course, I am so accustomed to the smell of a rainy world where I live, so it is a comforting aroma that smells like contentment to me. I love that word, and I love that you went looking for it and found it. That is a fantastic word, thanks Andy. *adding petrichor to vocabulary*

2:46 PM  
Blogger andy said...

Dear Katie
Yeah...I liked it, too and that's why I posted it. But adding it to my vocabulary is a tough one. My brain is somehow reluctant to accept new words, being rather selective, it picks stuff that I do not care to remember and just ignores beautiful words like....what was it again?

11:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Andy, thanks for finding the name of wet concrete and asphalt. When I was four years old I liked this smell so much that I would lick the sidewalk in front of our house! I still adore that smell even though I can't lick it anymore.. Now I know that it has a name and that I am not alone in enjoying it.

7:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home