Lonestar Memories: Colombina on Perfumesmellingthings. (...)Lonestar Memories makes me want to escape the mundane confines of my everyday world(...)


Lonestar Memories: Katie on Scentzilla. (...) Lonestar Memories smells of the examined life. Inside there is joy, and there is tiny heartbreak, e xisting only in reverie. The scent unravels into the consideration of past experiences, and pinings for future joys and heartbreaks(...)


Lonestar Memories: Marlen Harrison's review on PerfumeCritic.com (...) If you're a lover of leather or richer wood fragrances, this is gonna be a holy grail scent and in that case, better get two bottles.(...)


Lonestar Memories: Cait Shortell's review on Legerdenez. (...) Do you appreciate scent because you identify with the scent and its image? Does a scent have the ability to create a memory outside one’s own experience?(...)

Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Old English clubs

For an interview I am doing (or getting done ….depending the way you look at it) I checked how a perfumer is defined on wikipedia; this in order to figure out what others think. Not that I would care too much about how my fellow human beings define the term perfumer, more out of curiosity. To make things short: A nose must know a lot of smelling compounds, distinguish them alone or in mixtures and know how they develop over time in presence of other compounds.

Ok, so far so good. Sometimes I wonder how others and also I do this. How do you come up with a memory concept to capture how a sent (let’s take lavender) develops over time in presence of a multitude of other compounds (like rose, tobacco, benzylsalicylate,…)? To me this looks pretty much like an N-dimensional problem with lots of non-linear factors. Thus, a pretty tough task.

Could I pack what I think I know into an excel file, a matrix of lavender on one side, rose, tobacco, benzylsalicylate on the other side? No. I couldn’t. Maybe others can. I can’t, because I think this knowledge (if existent) is present in a sublime way. It is about a feeling that lavender with tobacco will cut the tips out of lavender, make it dull on one hand, but keeps it down on planet earth, takes out the airiness,… hard to describe. Describing it in a picture, lavender in this tobacco company is like on old English club, where well-nourished old men would smoke their cigars, and ask the youngster new member with his lavender eau de toilette to please sit down and wait until his time has come to talk.

More on English gentlemen clubs on Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gentlemen's_club_(traditional)

2 Comments:

Blogger marlen said...

Oh Andy, what an amazing education your work is bringing you. To know how certain aromas interact with others is truly a thing only a perfumer could know, and an attentive one at that. Keep up the great work!

6:33 AM  
Blogger andy said...

Well, Marlen, don't get me wrong... I wished I would know much more. We are talking real difficult issues here and I think two human lifes will not be sufficient to deal with it.
But there is hope that we will live longer than anticipated...thus...still some time left to sniff ;-)

9:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home