Lonestar Memories: Colombina on Perfumesmellingthings. (...)Lonestar Memories makes me want to escape the mundane confines of my everyday world(...)


Lonestar Memories: Katie on Scentzilla. (...) Lonestar Memories smells of the examined life. Inside there is joy, and there is tiny heartbreak, e xisting only in reverie. The scent unravels into the consideration of past experiences, and pinings for future joys and heartbreaks(...)


Lonestar Memories: Marlen Harrison's review on PerfumeCritic.com (...) If you're a lover of leather or richer wood fragrances, this is gonna be a holy grail scent and in that case, better get two bottles.(...)


Lonestar Memories: Cait Shortell's review on Legerdenez. (...) Do you appreciate scent because you identify with the scent and its image? Does a scent have the ability to create a memory outside one’s own experience?(...)

Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Seduction


(picture from www.sxc.hu, uploaded by pixx )
While cruising one of my favourite places for perfumes and their discussion yesterday, Perfume of Life, I came across a post about seduction. Something like which perfume to seduce Mr. or Ms. Unknown (or Known?). Our dear prince Barry commented asked the intriguing question who would need perfume for that; a good point. Well, I wouldn’t. For me, perfumes are one item of narcissus’ tool box. Something like: “Today I want to enjoy the scent of Caron pour home again, for my pleasure and a self satisfied look into the mirror”, by the way: Caron is the fragrance that I enjoy right now, it is truly wonderful. I like my fragrant reflection today in that sense. Thus, no Axe effect for me, or at least not an effect I am actively looking for.

Any collateral seduction effects are, of course, always welcome, and be it only to subtly sooth my fellow citizens and make them like me. Well, I am not a philosopher, but since Sartre’s “closed doors” we know that “l’enfer c’est les autres” (“hell, this is the others”). In this line of thinking, we just want them, the others, to like us, by applying a nice, decent fragrant aura? An existentialist’s view on perfumes might be interesting, indeed….

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I haven't followed the seduction thread on PoL, but your post got me thinking. For me seduction is the whole package; looks, vibes and smell. As I think back at my before-marriage-happened life, I remeber that certain perfumes could have the right ;-) impact on certain men. And - a man who on top of all other good things, smelled great made extra week in the knees LOL.

Now it snows here yet again and I can't say it pleases me. I long for spring and some serious gardening;-)

6:15 AM  
Blogger Marina said...

Ah, what a pleasure to read Sartre's quote, in the morning, with a cup of coffee :-) Thank you, Andy.
By the way, I also wear perfume for myself and only for myself If it happens to make the other person swoon, great! But it is not why I am wearing scents :-)

6:24 AM  
Blogger andy said...

My dear Ylva
I can not tell you how tired I am of this year's winter! We had snow like crazy the last weekend, now it started raining and then later we will get snow again.
When I got up yesterday, I was fooling around with an old idea of mine: leaving the country, fly away to a warm place like the arizona desert or South africa and enjoy the sun. I just can't wait for my tulips and hyacints anymore!

Dear Colombina
When I wrote the post this morning, I did not think originally in Sartre, but once it was there I thought: It is about time to do some reading again! I wish I had more time.....

6:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent post as usual Andy and very well worded.

I always wear scents for my own pleasure, if somebody else likes it on me and comments, that's a bonus.

9:44 AM  
Blogger Heather said...

I like the significant other to like how I smell but in general i wear perfume that pleases me - who cares for the galloping hordes and what they might think

Heather

12:19 PM  
Blogger Jenny said...

I think it works both ways. If you feel good and you feel secure about yourself it reflects on other people. So you wear your perfume for yourself but other people will notice your mood and respond to that.

2:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home