Lonestar Memories: Colombina on Perfumesmellingthings. (...)Lonestar Memories makes me want to escape the mundane confines of my everyday world(...)


Lonestar Memories: Katie on Scentzilla. (...) Lonestar Memories smells of the examined life. Inside there is joy, and there is tiny heartbreak, e xisting only in reverie. The scent unravels into the consideration of past experiences, and pinings for future joys and heartbreaks(...)


Lonestar Memories: Marlen Harrison's review on PerfumeCritic.com (...) If you're a lover of leather or richer wood fragrances, this is gonna be a holy grail scent and in that case, better get two bottles.(...)


Lonestar Memories: Cait Shortell's review on Legerdenez. (...) Do you appreciate scent because you identify with the scent and its image? Does a scent have the ability to create a memory outside one’s own experience?(...)

Monday, March 06, 2006

Pieces

The last few days were dominated by snow (we got lots of it) and by bringing some pieces together and placing orders for …. the leather!. The snow was helpful as it covered Zurich with 50 cm of white matter that effectively brought traffic to a stop and transformed my little city into a silent and very peaceful place.
As we live rather central we could go to the movies on Saturday evening by foot and watch Brokeback Mountain. It is a very, very well done film, touching for it is about love, forbidden love and impossible feelings, feelings that seem to be too big, a present given to mankind that is hard to deal with sometimes. For several reasons I couldn’t fight a few tears, filling my eyes in the dark of the theatre, while the story of these two cowboys in desperate love for each other developed. At the very end, however, the movie is much bigger, it is about a “condition humaine” which is hard to cope with; it is about society, built by us, complicated woven network of rules, permissions and interactions. A net that holds us, protects us and limits us. And then the movie is about this moment when we are touched by angles. It is like God wanted to proof that we can be more. A moment in time, unconditional worship of another human being, changing a life for ever, leading to heaven or hell.

And I could visit Pascal’s shop where my mission samples and stocking up was successfully accomplished. I met a few customers of his which always is a pleasure. I wished I had a shop of my own, where I could sit, talk to people and enjoy their reactions.

In all this snow I had some time to think about the leather perfume and the motivation behind it. I read the original post on this blog again, where I initially described my vision for this perfume. I never thought about it: Why. Why did I want to create a scented picture of this lonely rider, returning to the fire place, with his rough shell and soft heart. Later in the evening, I found two simple rules of mine verified: It is always worth doing some thinking about oneself, and a glass of whisky always helps. Well, honestly, I did not have to think that hard…

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad you enjoyed Brokeback Mountain, Andy. I loved it.

I'm enjoying l'air du desert marocain more each day - I love the way it lingers a day later on the skin - that beautiful soft amber.

9:36 AM  
Blogger andy said...

Dear Leopoldo
I loved it too, but it left me with a melancholic mood that was lasting for quite a while. As a matter of fact, I did not sleep well that night, thinking about Brokeback Mountain. I guess that's about the best one can say about a movie.
And thank you for your compliments about the L'air du desert marocain. I appreciate very much!

10:27 AM  
Blogger katiedid said...

I saw photos of the snow on the news yesterday evening - good lord, 2 feet! I hope you have a chance to play in it, because while it does look like it must be complicating the business of city life, it also looks terribly fun.

I have yet to see this movie! Ach! What with having my little twins, I am afraid the last couple movies I saw are only children's animated movies (although I must admit I rather enjoyed Wallace and Gromit as much as my boys did.) I've been hoping for a while to be able to go see it... I am a huge fan of Ang Lee's work, and Brokeback sounds as intricate and interesting as his other films.

I think one of the most fascinating things about reading your blog is about your emotional process to creation - the wavery elusive mental vision of an image, the resulting imagined physical sensations of that image... and then the scent of all of that. I usually think of someone starting with a smell first as inspiration, and find myself amazed by your ability to begin with a place and time to conjur up an aromatic expression of that. Having grown up in South Dakota, one thing I think of when I remember the cowboys (except they didn't call themselves that) my family knew is their hands. Rough calloused hands that looked themselves a bit like leather, but were capable of soft gentle movements - one of my Uncle Wes' friends was a very brusque man in manner, but would whittle the most delicate figurines for all the kids. His hands revealed his kindness when his words were gruff.

1:22 PM  
Blogger andy said...

Dear Katie
And I remember a guy who was my neighbour in the house where I lived in College station. He was about 20-25, a rodeo rider (at least he tried to make some dollars from that...), a tough guy you would say from the looks, but from time to time we would sit together on the stairs and drink a beer and it always was amazing how soft and vulnerable he was inside.

1:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home