Lonestar Memories: Colombina on Perfumesmellingthings. (...)Lonestar Memories makes me want to escape the mundane confines of my everyday world(...)


Lonestar Memories: Katie on Scentzilla. (...) Lonestar Memories smells of the examined life. Inside there is joy, and there is tiny heartbreak, e xisting only in reverie. The scent unravels into the consideration of past experiences, and pinings for future joys and heartbreaks(...)


Lonestar Memories: Marlen Harrison's review on PerfumeCritic.com (...) If you're a lover of leather or richer wood fragrances, this is gonna be a holy grail scent and in that case, better get two bottles.(...)


Lonestar Memories: Cait Shortell's review on Legerdenez. (...) Do you appreciate scent because you identify with the scent and its image? Does a scent have the ability to create a memory outside one’s own experience?(...)

Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Howdy

While enjoying the comfort of a glass of Ballantines Sunday evening, I looked back to memories of around 10 years ago. I lived in Texas back then for around a year. I was working at Texas A&M University in College Station (more on Wiki...). Most of you probably are not aware that College Station even exists, but I can assure you it is there and it is a lovely place to live, in the middle between Houston and Dallas, embedded in rather flat, very green surroundings, with a huge state forest half an hour south, kept humid by the warm waters of the near gulf, yet only a few hours away from hill country up in Austin, and the semi-desert in the west towards new Mexico. I was fortunate enough to move there and feel at home immediately thanks to lovely friends, like Mike Manson, my professor taking care of me and his wife Lily, like Josy, like Jon, both living nearby in Brian. Thus, I was introduced to the steakhouse at Lake Summerville, where you would get their largest steak for free, provided you could eat it all, enjoyed many cook-out’s and barbeques somewhere outdoors, sometimes even with a view to nearby oil pumps, moving up and down as regular as a Swiss watch. It was oil that made Texas rich, but it owns its mere existence to the will and tears of people in search of a better future, and a war between neighbours. I visited places like Big Bend where the Colorado is the sharp separation between wealthy America and a Mexico still struggling to find its way towards worldly paradise. I spent hours in my Pontiac just driving around, letting a scenery fly by that left staying marks in my memory like the cattle’s branded ranch marks.

It was a place where I felt home. Now it is a place of memories. Texas Memories.
I guess, that’s it gonna be. Texas Memories is what the leather is all about. That’s what I will name it: Texas Memories.

What y’all think?

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent idea Andy. You had the vision of this scent in the beginning and it did involve 'cowboys'.

On a side note, not a lot of people know this.......... In London in the St James's area, actually near the bottom of St James Street, past the gentleman's clubs there is a famous wine merchants called Berry Brothers and Rudd. At the side of BBR is a little passageway called Pickering Place. If you go into this passageway and look up onto the wall, you will see a plaque. This plaque commemorates the location of the Texan Embassy from the days when Texas was an independant state.

10:53 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

Prince Barry I just have to meet you! And if you're not at all what you seem I will be SO SO disappointed! So maybe I will keep you in my imagination because you're really cute there - in a so English and not at all Yorkshireman kind of way!

And to Andy - I think that the concept is lovely, am not sure totally though - close your eyes. Does the scent truly inspire the memories? if it does - then yes. Go for it.

4:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you Heather, one puts it down to the Royal Blood coursing it's way through one's veins...Ha ha!

It's funny, I don't see myself as a Yorkshireman, more of a Gentleman Dandy who always feels as if he has 'come home' when wandering the streets of St James's, buying Loakes shoes and TM Lewin shirts.

7:58 AM  
Blogger Qwendy said...

Mmmmmmmmmm, I don't know, some of us don't have the kinds of warm thoughts about Texas you do. In the states the idea of Texas isn't nearly as dreamy as you describe, and evocotive of living in the back country with the romance of the movement of the oil derricks -- which I love when I see them here too -- generating the biggest profits in all of history. If I knew it was yours, Andy, I'd buy it (dying to try it actually), but the name alone would put me off it. How about a name that evokes the same things without such a very particular place attached to it?

8:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lonestar Leather?

8:31 AM  
Blogger andy said...

Dear Wendy, dear Barry
I know... Texas (and Texans) have sort of a bad image... you imagine -as you said- lots of different image with it... and then... Texas Memories is somewhat too straight in the head. Eventually Lonestar Leather might be better, indeed. Here in Europe people do mostly not know what Lonestar means. Which is somehow good, it makes you think. Then there is a "star" in it, which is nice. Lonestar is good. Leather.... hmmm... that way you tell people what it is all about. sounds intriguing, Barry, I will see how Lonestar Leather is accepted by Mr. W. hehehe, he loved Texas Memories.

11:28 AM  
Blogger Qwendy said...

How about just Lonestar and let it go at that? Lonestar Leather could be a bit too literal, but Lonestar is very evocative, Barry, good one! Lonestar Suede? Or translate leather into another language? Maverick?
No, that's like a sixties men's cologne........I used to think it would be a really cool job to name stuff for a living, then I was in on some corporate naming meetings and saw how awful the whole business was. But it always was one of my favorite jobs in design to name the styles and colors of the clothing pieces in the line..............

11:48 AM  
Blogger andy said...

:-(

Lonestar is taken...by a swiss company hehehe
Here's the link to scentdirect...
what a pity, isn't.
But I go with you... finding names is one thing I like a lot.

http://scentdirect.com/genealogy.php?scentID=747

12:04 PM  
Blogger katiedid said...

I'm afraid I have to chime in about poor Texas - it doesn't conjur up such warm thoughts for many of us, unfortunately.

Perhaps a nodding reference to Texas' unique mix of cultures? In the Spanish language, one would say cowboy as "vaquero." Maybe "Botas de Vaquero," meaning cowboy boots? "Vaquero Solitario?" (Solitario means alone, but strongly connotes also companionless and isolated depending on context, and here a slightly nebulous context might work just fine? There is also a figurative saying, "caballero solatario" to describe someone in what you'd say in English as a "lone wolf")

Or nevermind me at all - I am so glad I wouldn't have to ever figure out such an important detail! :) And I hope I am not boring or offending you with all that! I think you will probably have a great deal of fun brainstorming an excellent name for your scent.

4:46 PM  
Blogger katiedid said...

D'oh! Texan in Spanish is Tejano - perhaps a play of words with that?

I will stop pestering you now :)

5:00 PM  
Blogger anyasgarden said...

I agree with the anti-Texas sentiment, no fault of the good people that live there! The Bushblight/Enron modern fiascos have a very negative connotation right now. How about Tejas (pronounced Tay-has) the Mexican name? Oh, remember the Alamo.

Naming is so tricky. If we stay literal, but cagy, how about Prarie, Frontier, etc?

5:36 PM  
Blogger andy said...

Dear Anya
I will do some thinking and dreaming and listening my inner voice. I have to admit: staying literal might work very well , especially here!
Thank you for having your literal hut on today! ;-)

Dear Katie
neither boring and for sure not offending, for sure!
Thank you

10:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home