Lonestar Memories: Colombina on Perfumesmellingthings. (...)Lonestar Memories makes me want to escape the mundane confines of my everyday world(...)


Lonestar Memories: Katie on Scentzilla. (...) Lonestar Memories smells of the examined life. Inside there is joy, and there is tiny heartbreak, e xisting only in reverie. The scent unravels into the consideration of past experiences, and pinings for future joys and heartbreaks(...)


Lonestar Memories: Marlen Harrison's review on PerfumeCritic.com (...) If you're a lover of leather or richer wood fragrances, this is gonna be a holy grail scent and in that case, better get two bottles.(...)


Lonestar Memories: Cait Shortell's review on Legerdenez. (...) Do you appreciate scent because you identify with the scent and its image? Does a scent have the ability to create a memory outside one’s own experience?(...)

Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Compromise


I am still trying to recover from my laugh attack respectively from yesterday's toilet duck by Heather. Gorgeous.


(picture top: Andy made Amaryllis flower, picture bottom: The real stuff)
This is going to be a short post as I am busy moving my metal box with four wheels from here to there, and it is going to be a simple one: It is about compromising. Its motivation: My unhappiness with how things develop in matters leather. After thinking real hard and dreaming my leather scent again I came to the conclusion that part of my troubles might be due to compromising.

If I look what I have done so far: The results look like the picture on top. Nice, colorful, but not the real stuff.
The vision I have in mind are more like the picture at the bottom.....

Thus, I decided yesterday to be Beaux-like and reach for the tough stuff respectively try some things radically new (for me...). Meaning: Go at the limits with Birchtar and Isobutylchinolein and Cedarwood without compromising and see that I do not cross the limit and how things develop from there. This is not easy as there is a fine line for some compounds, like Birchtar, or for instance Clary Sage. A very fine line from brilliance and flowery, clear effects to nauseating suffocating presence. We will see.....

3 Comments:

Blogger Heather said...

There really is no substitute for the real thing is there?

So my question would be why would you want to replicate leather so faithfully?

Surely to be wearable and attractive and not smell like a saddle bag - it has to be blended in and be a part of something bigger - so the saddle bag that has been worn next to a sweaty horse and has rough shag and gunpowder in it - is wholly more appreciable and tells a story?

Maybe compromise can be a good thing provided you feel in control of it.

Keep going Andy you're gonna get there

Heather

7:25 AM  
Blogger katiedid said...

I cannot pretend to understand the complexlities of such an undertaking, but I love reading about it. I think one of the things I notice most about the fragrances I love most are that they usually are ones that push a limit in some manner or another. Well, at least they push a figurative limit, I'm not sure about the technicalities of literal physical limits. For example, I cannot imagine how Vent Vert would be nearly so enjoyable without it's radical galbanum.

Wonderful visual contrast, by the way.

2:08 PM  
Blogger andy said...

Dear H. There is no substitute, for sure!
The replication is less an issue, it is more replication my vision or fitting the fragrance with my vision.
And the vision is.... as you rightfully mentioned a story, which still develops as I go.
Dear K.
Thank you! I think pushing the limit, that's exactly what it is all about. I also think that this was exactly what Roudnitska had in mind when I said that a good perfume always brings a little shock. So, we have to find the limit without crossing it!

11:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home