Lonestar Memories: Colombina on Perfumesmellingthings. (...)Lonestar Memories makes me want to escape the mundane confines of my everyday world(...)


Lonestar Memories: Katie on Scentzilla. (...) Lonestar Memories smells of the examined life. Inside there is joy, and there is tiny heartbreak, e xisting only in reverie. The scent unravels into the consideration of past experiences, and pinings for future joys and heartbreaks(...)


Lonestar Memories: Marlen Harrison's review on PerfumeCritic.com (...) If you're a lover of leather or richer wood fragrances, this is gonna be a holy grail scent and in that case, better get two bottles.(...)


Lonestar Memories: Cait Shortell's review on Legerdenez. (...) Do you appreciate scent because you identify with the scent and its image? Does a scent have the ability to create a memory outside one’s own experience?(...)

Monday, October 17, 2005

Wine culture

Back home from France where I spent the weekend in a little village in midst of wine yards that cover the surrounding hills in gold with their autumn foliage. The days were devoted to hiking in the woods which might be worth another post another day for some thoughts about mushroom and mouldy wood. In the evening there was time for trying some of the local wines for which the Alsace is famous: Gewurztraminer, Cremant, Pinot gris and Pinot noir; and of course for some wine tasting. I always go to the same place again, Dopf&Irion, for they have a wonderful sparkling wine for an excellent price. This year, I also tasted a special Riesling which has won the gold medal in a Riesling of the world contest. It was incredibly rich, smooth, and velvety, with a full body which is unusual for Riesling, indeed. I asked Monsieur le chef what it is that makes this wine so spectacular. Well, it is similar to perfumery and very simple: You choose the best grapes you can get without compromising in quality, you tightly control the fermentation process, the storage and maturation and you promote the resulting wine with all tools you have at your disposition (thus, try to get the gold medal…) At least, they do not have to worry about bottles too much…..

As Monsieur (by himself) started to compare some of his wines with high end perfumes, and how an excellent wine leaves an unique memory just like a high class perfume, an old favourite idea of mine came back to my mind. I dream of making a perfume which matures in an oak wood barrel, eventually used before. I image how the diluted perfume grows by this maturation process, how it enters the wood and absorbs its scent, how it softens and transforms itself. Well, eventually….

To be considered once I have reached the “barrel scale” for my perfumes.

9 Comments:

Blogger Heather said...

You know you could always leave the day job and just become a writer Andy - because you are just so good at it!

for a confirmed beer drinker this post almost made me convert.

sounded a wonderful weekend.
Heather

6:04 AM  
Blogger andy said...

Dear Heather
thank you for the flowers. It WAS a wonderful weekend. The best was: I was just drinking a glass of Crémant to start the evening when I got an SMS from Vero, my perfumer friend, who told me that Luca Turin had posted on his blog about le maroc pour elle. It was a very special moment, indeed.

6:07 AM  
Blogger Heather said...

I just came hot foot from Luca's blog - you never said you had sent the sample - but well done you - and so so deserved

Every one must run out and purchase because if ever a perfumer deserved recognition - you should have sent L'air as well though.

What a coup!

6:59 AM  
Blogger andy said...

;-)

Finally, I found the courage....



By the way, Heather, have you received my last e-mail of ca. 10 days ago?
I wish you a nice evening...

7:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Terrific reading Andy! Wish I had a bottle in front of me so that I could toast your health and future fame as a perfumer.

By the way, I beat everybody to post reviews of your perfumes.
..LOL!

Barry

9:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I forgot to mention this. Talking of perfumes matured in casks reminded me of a men's scent that George Dodds of Aromasciences makes. It's called Robbie Burns and contains Scotch Whiskey.

10:29 AM  
Blogger andy said...

Dear Barry
It is time for honesty... I guess I will prefer drinking the Scotch!
Please do not beat your fellow perfume lovers too hard to post, I feel kind of sorry for them.....

11:24 AM  
Blogger andy said...

Dear Ruby
Thank you for your lovely note. I appreciate it very much...but I need to be honest here: I am (in the strict sense of the word) not an ALL natural perfumer. I use synthetics on top of a natural structure which is at the core of my perfumes. I adore natural scents, I would never create a perfume without these naturals, the naturals have to be at the center of my creations, but I think I am not an all natural boy.......

11:54 AM  
Blogger katiedid said...

Well, not to push the point, but I feel compelled to chime in with everyone else - do send Luca your L'air. It is unique, and I feel certain he'd appreciate it.

I am a terrible beer snob. It's really kind of sad - I've been known to talk about beer the way I might discuss a perfume. Wines for me are only sporadically interesting, although I swear the best meal in the world is a nice gewurtraminer (an Oregon one, of course, heh) with a bowl of my homemade chili, which I make so spicy and full of red chiles and jalapenos that you can actually feel steam coming off your eyeballs.

One drink I have long felt is made especially with the perfumista in mind is tequila. Sure, some folks drink it mindlessly, doing shot after shot in rapid succession. Those people break my heart. A good tequila in a snifter is the perfect drink for the perfume fan. The floral aroma, heady, tart, and sweet, full yet weightless... ahhhhhhhhh, perfection. And then the sipping, which is like drinking liquid gold dripping over flowers. (Now if only I could find a good tequila perfume.)

3:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home