Lonestar Memories: Colombina on Perfumesmellingthings. (...)Lonestar Memories makes me want to escape the mundane confines of my everyday world(...)


Lonestar Memories: Katie on Scentzilla. (...) Lonestar Memories smells of the examined life. Inside there is joy, and there is tiny heartbreak, e xisting only in reverie. The scent unravels into the consideration of past experiences, and pinings for future joys and heartbreaks(...)


Lonestar Memories: Marlen Harrison's review on PerfumeCritic.com (...) If you're a lover of leather or richer wood fragrances, this is gonna be a holy grail scent and in that case, better get two bottles.(...)


Lonestar Memories: Cait Shortell's review on Legerdenez. (...) Do you appreciate scent because you identify with the scent and its image? Does a scent have the ability to create a memory outside one’s own experience?(...)

Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Missions

Yesterday's post was on the sense of beauty and while writing it, it occurred to me that there is an urgent need to post on the intrinsic motivation in perfuming ourselves. I think there are at least three different motivations leading to quite different results:

Cover up mission. This is perfuming in order to cover up a note that one thinks is not appropriate. This is the easiest and probably cheapest use of perfume. Intensity and duration is the guide: Just spray on enough of something which lasts for ever and it will cover you up from head to toe with a wall that even the oldest sneaker can't break through. The perfuming man engaged in mission cover up will face solitude and the misery of being olfactory displaced.

Mission added value. This is perfuming in order to enhance your fragrance aura which you think might need some fine tuning. It is the trickiest mission to accomplish as you have to find just the note which integrates perfectly into your individual scents, lifting them and adding value to the olfactory impression you leave on others. The price to pay for this mission: Eternal search for just the one and only. While doing so you will be faced with a narrowing social network, shrinking to a guild of me-too-sufferers and lost souls.

Mission joy. This is perfuming in joy of scents. It is the pleasure of smelling fragrances and discovering the beauty of man made creations. Joyfully you wear scents without caring what others say, except for your daily growing club of fellow perfume lovers. It is the most expensive mission as the world of perfumes is like a river passing by. Every day you will discover new forms and reflections that you must have. Your local perfumery will be your second home and money drain will lead directly into heart breaking poverty.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You were correct in your email to me Andy. I definately come under the Mission Joy statement. Always on the look out for another magical fragrance, and yes, I wear my scents for me.

At least I will be smelling nice in poverty..LOL!

Barry

10:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The deadly consequences of scent missions:
Anything can be carried to extremes and that is usually the end of all the fun.

1. Cover up - probably perfect in cases of emergency, like temporary indisposal, consumption of spicy food and drinks, travelling, physical exercise. In these situations the lighter Eau de..C,...Sport,...Lavender, or body splashes and fresheners will assist preventing isolation. They may not fully cover up, but at least re-establish your self confidence.

2. Added value - why search eternally? We go through stages of life where changing priorities and challenges must be met. As we re-invent homes, jobs, body parts, etc., all we need is a perfume matching that particular situation. Match it with your 'Lebensabschnitts-Partner'. I admit that smelling young can get difficult over time.

3. Mission joy - todays kids found a solution: it's mostly on the shelves in some department and chain stores. Spray more, buy less.

I could imagine a swap shop for perfumes where you also buy decanted and discontinued brands. A perfume freak will never really empty any of his countless 100ml bottles. To avoid permanent bankruptcy I would be glad to exchange scents in 30 or 50ml units, and still spend too much on an even bigger variety.

I suspect, there are a lot more missions to fulfill scentwise. Anyone thinks 10 different colognes are enough for a man in this century? Well, count your shoes and find the answer!

2:48 AM  
Blogger andy said...

I have done the shoe counting,knowing that I have some. Eberhard: I got pairs and now I wonder: Is this average? amazing...

10:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

'I got pairs...is this average?'
How do I know? I never count other men's shoes. All I know is: way more than the two pairs of black shoes you are wearing in any particular season (to rationalize, I try to stick to black only). Add various activities, and multiply with three basic weather situations and you have your basic needs.
I use colognes to lift me up, to shield me from the oustide, to make me a little more attractive, to tune me in for,say a concert.
Eau sauvage is fine for a good start into a sunny day but gives me shivers in October.Later hours in the daymay require something different. Vol de Nuit is totally wasted in a Disco but may enhance impressions from a great moovie...
If you are on that evil trail (as I am now)the great idea of a signature scent is gone forever!
The number of colognes I am serious about wearing is below thirty. That's all I can say.

There are scents I admire and just sniff occasionally..mostly inspired from L.Turin's Duftnoten.

eberhard

12:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home