Lonestar Memories: Colombina on Perfumesmellingthings. (...)Lonestar Memories makes me want to escape the mundane confines of my everyday world(...)


Lonestar Memories: Katie on Scentzilla. (...) Lonestar Memories smells of the examined life. Inside there is joy, and there is tiny heartbreak, e xisting only in reverie. The scent unravels into the consideration of past experiences, and pinings for future joys and heartbreaks(...)


Lonestar Memories: Marlen Harrison's review on PerfumeCritic.com (...) If you're a lover of leather or richer wood fragrances, this is gonna be a holy grail scent and in that case, better get two bottles.(...)


Lonestar Memories: Cait Shortell's review on Legerdenez. (...) Do you appreciate scent because you identify with the scent and its image? Does a scent have the ability to create a memory outside one’s own experience?(...)

Friday, September 02, 2005

Scentzilla and jungle mixes

Today, there are many notes browsing within the 1 kg grey matter sitting on top of my shoulders. First this one: Thank you Katrina for your kind e-mail and thank you for sharing your thoughts on perfumes on your scentzilla blog within the nervous network of this planet (a picture for the www that I have seen on Luca Turin’s blog. I like this formulation, it is perfect). Yesterday, there was time to do some reading in Katrina’s pink weblog on perfumes and I came across the issue of outside temperature on the development of a perfume, exemplified for Floris’s Pink Grapefruit. Staying power on the skin being one issue (which will be a topic on this blog, soon) and overall unfolding of the scent palette being another. Et voila: Yet another challenge for the perfumer to foresee and control. Floris is brave in this sense as the challenge is linked with simplicity and reduction. Having just a few colours and still create an oeuvre which is rich, full-bodied, and holding together is very difficult and leaves no room for errors. You can just draw a few lines and each of it must be exactly right otherwise things will fall apart. Maybe I personally wouldn’t go that far to combine grapefruit and sandalwood in a single line, but reduction is always an issue. And a fight with yourself as there are so many wonderful scents that might fit within a fragrance you are creating. It is always an act of will not to add just a little bit of Corriander or Lavender or Rose or a hint of vanilla or……. the danger of the jungle mix looming around the corner. Suddenly, you find yourself within a green, flowery, vanilla, orchid and woody labyrinth with Godzilla roaming close by.

1 Comments:

Blogger katiedid said...

And thank you for going to the trouble of reading my Scentzilla blog - I appreciate it. (I run my perfume blog on a seperate server than the Blogger platform, but I've got a Blogger account.)

So interesting to read the sorts of things you struggle with to compose a scent.

Just as a perfume fan I find I am wanting to add layers of things to some scents and/or oils that are quite simple to begin with. Where I live (Portland, OR) we have a nice little local business that sells escential and perfume oils, and I find it hard to resist adding a dab of one thing with a dab of a few others.

But elegant simplicity is also quite enjoyable to wear as well.

Temperature is a really funny thing.
But add in the weird chemistry of different people's skin, and funny things happen. I can't even fathom how a perfumer must deal with such things. I find Luten's Arabie
works beautifully and richly on me when it is warm outside. But in winter and on cold days it smells flat and terrible. And yet not everyone has this experience of Arabie. In fact, I know only one other person who can't wear it during winter either.

Anyhow, thanks for writing such thought provoking reading.

- K

12:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home